Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Fri December 27, 2013
Advice For Those Losing Extended Unemployment Insurance Benefits
The Labor Department says the number of Ohioans filing first-time claims for unemployment insurance benefits rose by 15 hundred last week due to layoffs in manufacturing.
Ohio had the fourth largest increase of any state. Meanwhile 36 thousand Ohioans will lose their emergency unemployment benefits on Saturday, after Congress failed to include an extension in the budget bill signed by the President on Thursday. Zach Schiller with the progressive-leaning think tank Policy Matters Ohio has some advice for those who are losing the benefits.
Schiller is hoping benefits will be restored retroactively when Congress reconvenes in January. The U.S. unemployment rate is 7 percent.