Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Fri February 8, 2013
Amish Beard-Cutting Ringleader Sentenced
The ringleader in hair- and beard-cutting attacks on fellow Amish in Ohio has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Sixty-seven-year-old Samuel Mullet Senior's sentencing came today in Cleveland federal court. Judge Dan Aaron Polster also handed down sentences ranging from one to seven years to 15 of Mullet's extended family members. The 10 men and six women were convicted last year in five attacks in Amish communities in 2011. Prosecutors say the attacks were retaliation against Amish who had defied or denounced Mullet's authoritarian style. They sought a life term. Mullet's lawyer calls it an internal matter that didn't rise to a hate crime. The attorney had asked for a sentence of two years or less. Amish believe the Bible instructs women to let their hair grow long and men to grow beards once they marry. Cutting it would be offensive to Amish.