Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- Why California Farmers Are Conflicted About Using Less Water
Wed August 27, 2014
Armengau Sentenced To 13 Years In Prison
A Columbus defense attorney convicted of raping women connected to his legal practice was sentenced Tuesday to 13 years in prison.
52-year-old Javier Armengau was convicted in July of nine sex crimes involving three women. Five women who were clients or relatives of clients accused Armengau of sexually assaulting them. Prior to his sentencing, Armengau made an hour long statement blasting the police and prosecutors in the case, and calling his accusers liars.
Armengau said he would never have remorse because he did nothing wrong. He says he plans to appeal. The Ohio Supreme Court suspended Armengau's law license after he was convicted.