Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue September 17, 2013
Battelle Biomedical Research Center Accused Of Abusing Animals
Animal activists are criticizing Battelle Biomedical Research Center in Columbus for allegedly abusing guinea pigs.
The watchdog group called Stop Animal Exploitation Now has filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, saying Battelle officials were negligent in allowing guinea pigs to die at the hands of unqualified staffers. A USDA report says a guinea pig drowned in August after leaking water flooded its cage and another died in December after it was left in a cage that was steam cleaned. The report says Battelle reported the deaths and procedures were changed to prevent similar mistreatment in the future. The facility faces several thousand dollars in fines if the group's allegations are found to be true.