Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Wed April 17, 2013
Benefit Concert, Funeral Set For Teen
A central Ohio school is collecting donations and having fundraisers to help with funeral expenses for a student who saved her month-old daughter from a fire but died two days later.
The Columbus district says Acairia Watkins was a sophomore at Columbus Alternative High School, where she played the viola with the orchestra. On Thursday, April 18, at 7 p.m., the orchestra will dedicate the show and all proceeds from both ticket and concessions sales to the family and Acairia’s newborn daughter. There will be a slide show, and the Watkins family will be present. Concert tickets are $5. Students will also hold a loose change fund in which students can deposit any loose change they may have. Funeral and burial arrangements are planned for Monday, April 22, at 1 p.m., at Diehl-Whittaker Funeral Services, located at 720 E. Long Street, Columbus. Donations to help defer funeral expenses can also be sent directly to Diehl-Whittaker Funeral Services, in Acairia’s name. Watkins died two days after the duplex fire that also killed a 28-year-old woman. Relatives and witnesses say Watkins saved her daughter by putting the baby on the roof of the porch to be rescued by firefighters.