Most Active Stories
- Anti-Fracking Measure Will Not Make Columbus' November Ballot
- Proposed Bill To Give Firefighters Special Cancer Prevention, Treatment
- Divers Pull Body Of One Of Two Drowning Victims From Olentangy
- Police Identify Two Suspects In Slaying Of Innocent Bystander
- WCBE Presents Radio Birds Live From Studio A Thurs. July 23, 2015 @ 2PM!
Wed May 2, 2012
Birdy On World Cafe
Originally published on Thu May 3, 2012 10:17 am
British artist Jasmine van den Bogaerde — better known as Birdy — is probably best known for her 2011 cover of Bon Iver's "Skinny Love." The 15-year-old started playing piano at 5, began composing a few years later and won the Open Mic UK competition in 2008 at the age of 12. The win guaranteed the young artist a recording contract, but before releasing her debut, she'd already scored a spot on the U.K. pop chart with her cover of "Skinny Love," making Birdy a household name in the U.K. In November, she released her self-titled debut, which features re-imagined covers of alternative rock songs.
On her debut, Birdy covers artists ranging from The xx to Phoenix, but her talent extends beyond interpretation: She includes an original piece on the album. On today's episode of World Cafe, she talks about her original track and what it's been like to reintroduce herself to the world following her competition win, YouTube fame and chart success.