Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Wed February 13, 2013
Blue Jackets Make History With Hire
A day after firing general manager Scott Howson, the Columbus Blue Jackets have made history by hiring Jarmo Kekalainen of Finland. He'll become the National Hockey League's first European general manager.
Kekalainen, director of amateur scouting with the St. Louis Blues from 2002-2010, held a news conference in his native Finland today at around the same time Blue Jackets Director of Hockey Operations John Davidson spoke in Columbus.
Davidson worked closely with Kekalainen during their time with the Blues. Davidson says his new GM has experience in finding players that have talent and character. The Blue Jackets have the second, fourth and thirteenth selections in the first round of this year's draft. Davidson also says he's pleased with the coaching staff. The Blue Jackets visit the Kings tomorrow night.