Mon June 9, 2014
Cleveland Clinic’s Cosgrove Withdraws Name From Running For Top VA Position
After days of national speculation about whether the Cleveland Clinic's Toby Cosgrove would take the top position at the embattled U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, he announced over the weekend that he's withdrawing his name from consideration.
Sarah Jane Tribble of member station WCPN in Cleveland reports.
In a brief statement, the Cleveland Clinic leader said he was \"humbled and honored\” to have been considered.
BUT, he wrote, his commitment remains with the Clinic and its patients.
Cosgrove, who turns 74 in July, cited unfinished business at the non-profit hospital system.
The Clinic has grown to a global brand since Cosgrove took the helm in 2004. It has more than 40,000 employees and serves millions of patients each year. In 2013, it reported $6.5 billion in revenue.
Major projects currently under way include the opening of a new facility in Abu Dhabi.
Cosgrove had been asked by President Barack Obama to consider leading the the VA, which is under fire because of delays in patient care and mismanagement. The White House did not release a comment.
Cosgrove is a former heart surgeon and veteran who was awarded a Bronze Star for his service in Vietnam. He said the decision to withdraw from consideration was \"extraordinarily difficult.\”