Most Active Stories
- State To Replace PARCC Tests With Those Of Research Institute
- Conservative Group Warns Of Wasteful Spending In State Budget
- Columbus Girl Confronts Anti-Gay Street Preacher
- Ohio Lawmakers Send Anti-Monopoly Measure To Fall Ballot
- Pfeiffer Says Redflex Contracts Reached, Amended Legally Under Municipal Codes
Wed June 18, 2014
Clevelander David Giffels wears The Rust Belt well
Journalist and essayist David Giffels has written for the New York Times Magazine, the Wall Street Journal, Grantland, and Redbook among others. His most recent book is The Hard Way on Purpose, a collection of essays about growing up near Akron and Cleveland, an area he sees as embodying a sense of place, but “a weird, surreal place,” The Rust Belt.
We discussed our Rust Belt, shared stories of destroyed places from our youth (his in Cleveland, mine in Toledo), and ended with a look at his experiences writing for Beavis and Butthead and a book on Devo.