Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Wed February 19, 2014
Coleman Appoints Johnson To New Education Post
Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman has appointed Columbus Education Association President Rhonda Johnson as the city's education director.
Johnson - a teacher in Columbus City Schools since 1978 and CEA president since 2004 - will formally assume the role in June. Coleman says Johnson will be the city's fulltime point person on education policy and investments. She will also have a formal, recognized role at Columbus school board meetings. Johnson also served on the mayor's education commission, which recommended improvements for Columbus schools. Johnson says she appreciates the opportunity and looks forward to implementing the commission's guidelines, which include more attention on student achievement and policy changes in how the school board governs.