Fri March 1, 2013
Columbus Boy Sickened By Eyeliner
Columbus and state health officials are urging parents to throw out cosmetics found to contain high levels of lead.
Columbus Public Health and the Ohio Department of Health say Hashmi Surma Kohl Eyeliner is to blame for a one-year-old Columbus boy's high blood-lead level. A doctor determined the boy's parents were applying the eyeliner in a cultural ritual before the child sustained lead poisoning. ODH spokesperson Tess Pollack says the eyeliner has only a limited amount of English language on the label, and says it is most often found in the Middle East.