Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Mon July 22, 2013
Columbus Detective Facing Drug-Related Charges
Federal authorities have released more details about the case of a Columbus detective arrested last week.
The FBI says 48-year-old Steve Billups has been charged with attempted distribution of heroin and use or carrying of a firearm during and in relation to a drug trafficking crime. According to the criminal complaint, Billups gambled frequently at the Columbus casino during working hours. The FBI says video footage shows Billups associating with the target of a federal narcotics investigation beginning in late March. Authorities say they arrested that person, who eventually began cooperating with law enforcement on the case. They arrested Billups Thursday night after Billups received bribe money from the confidential source. The FBI says Billups eventually admitted that he protected the source twice while he conducted what he believed was an illegal drug transaction, and that he received $5-thousand dollars. Billups has a court hearing later this afternoon.