Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue November 19, 2013
Columbus Recieves Perfect Score On LGBT-Friendly Index
Columbus is among a handful of cities nationwide with a perfect rating for creating a LGBT-friendly environment.
In a report released today by Human Rights Campaign, Columbus is the only Ohio city - and one of only 25 nationwide - to score 100 percent on the Muncipality Equality Index, which rates how cities treat their lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens. The index evaluated nearly 300 cities on 47 different criteria, including non-discrimination laws, employment policies, relationship recognition, and inclusiveness of services. HRC says Columbus showed significant improvement over last year, when it rated only 83 percent on the Index. Other Ohio cities that scored high on the index include Cincinnati, at 90 percent, and Cleveland, at 83.