Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- 16 Mumps Cases Confirmed At Ohio State; Number Could Climb
Sat December 17, 2011
Coquito: A Tropical Twist On The Holiday Classic
Coquito, an eggnog made with rum and coconut, is as integral to a Puerto Rican Christmas as presents under the tree.
In New York on Saturday, 12 coquito makers are battling to be this year's Coquito Masters champion. It's the 10th year of the contest. Trolleys will take fans to different locations in Spanish Harlem to sample coquito and vote for their favorite drinks in blind taste tests.
Puerto Ricans tend to keep their coquito recipes top-secret, according to Debbie Quinones, founder of the International Coquito Federation. Breaking with that tradition, here's a recipe from Ellie Heinzman, mother of Weekend Edition producer Elaine Heinzman.