Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Thu August 15, 2013
Death Penalty Committee Won't Revisit Earlier Votes
A committee reviewing changes to Ohio's death penalty law has voted against taking new votes on recommendations the panel previously approved.
At issue are concerns raised by some prosecutors about recommendations they oppose but which they weren't present to vote for. Chief among those is a recommendation to create a centralized state panel that would have the final say on whether death penalty charges should be brought by local prosecutors. The Ohio Supreme Court's Joint Task Force on the Death Penalty voted 12-5 Thursday against reopening previous votes. Franklin County Judge Stephen McIntosh said the committee's rules have been clear that attendance is required for votes. He also said agendas are sent well ahead of time announcing what votes will be taken. Any major recommendation would need legislative approval.