Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Thu December 12, 2013
Death Row Inmate Appeals For Clemency, Citing Abusive Childhood
Attorneys for a death row inmate are asking the Ohio Parole Board to recommend clemency for their client, citing his chaotic and abusive childhood and the failure of his original lawyers to work hard enough on his behalf.
53-year-old Dennis McGuire is scheduled to die by lethal injection on January 16th for the 1989 rape and murder of Joy Stewart in Preble County. Prosecutors say the death sentence is appropriate for the killing of the newly married and pregnant Stewart. The state plans to use a never-tried lethal injection process, with the specific chemicals to be announced two weeks before the execution.