Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue October 8, 2013
Diocese Officials Investigating Retired Priest For Alleged Sexual Abuse
The Columbus Catholic Diocese is investigating sexual abuse claims against a retired priest.
Officials say an alleged victim of Father Raymond Lavelle came forward last month with a credible account of abuse while Lavelle was pastor at St. Agnes Church in the 1970s. Officials say Lavelle is now 83-years-old and living in a nursing home. In July, officials announced they placed Father Ronald Atwood on leave from his ministry while they investigate the alleged assaults of a boy that took place in the 1970s. Atwood is the pastor at St. Francis of Assisi Church and has been a priest in Columbus for 44 years.