Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Mon February 10, 2014
District Considering Closing Seven Schools
Columbus City Schools administrators are weighing a plan to close seven buildings, including two high schools, forcing relocation of 2,500 students.
The school board plans a special meeting on the proposal tomorrow, with a decision expected around March. Shuttering Brookhaven and Independence high schools would mark the first high school closures in the district in more than 30 years. Other schools proposed for closure are Monroe Middle School and Arlington Park, as well as Fifth Avenue, Maybury and Siebert elementary schools. The Dispatch obtained a memo on the proposal through a public records request. No reasons have been given for the closures. The district has said it needs to cut $50 million from next school year's budget, but money isn't being cited as a reason. The special meeting will be held at East High School tomorrow afternoon at 5:30.