Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Fri August 23, 2013
Duke Ellington's "My People" on WCBE's Jazz Sunday, August 25th, 2013
In commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the August 28th, 1963 March On Washington For Jobs And Freedom, K.C. Jones and Jack Marchanks will broadcast My People, Duke Ellington's civil rights-themed musical, on Jazz Sunday, August 25, 2013. As some of you might already know, Ellington performed the work as part of the Century of Negro Progress Exposition held in Chicago from August 16th to September 2nd, 1963, which in itself was a celebration of the 100th year anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.
Ellington worked in a Chicago studio to produce this recorded work on August 20, 21 and 27, 1963. For reasons that have never been documented first hand, Ellington chose not to attend the March on Washington. Perhaps he knew music was the medium through which he could most powerfully contribute to the advancement of civil rights for all human beings.
Tune in for this special edition of Jazz Sunday, August 25th starting at 3pm on 90.5FM WCBE, Columbus. You can also listen live online.