Canton fire officials say hundreds of residents in a 20-block area were evacuated following a fire Monday in a closed factory that released sulfur dioxide at potentially harmful levels.
No injuries are reported at the site that had been used by Convoy Containers, which went out of business in 2011. Assistant Canton Fire Chief Thomas Garra says sulfer dioxide levels dropped this morning, and firefighters continue dousing the smoking building.
Five schools near the evacuated area canceled classes today. Fire officials suspect the blaze was sparked by a chemical reaction or leak.