News
8:48 am
Mon December 24, 2012

Fire Marshal Reminds Residents Of Winter Fire Risks

Ohio Fire Marshall Larry Flowers says the use of candles, heating sources and makeshift cooking methods when winter storms interrupt electric service can significantly increase fire risks.

He says following simple safety precautions can reduce risks of fires and buildup of carbon monoxide fumes. Flowers says kerosene heaters and space heaters should be kept away from anything combustible and oven ranges should never be used to heat homes. Generators or other fuel-powered machines should only be used outside the home and never connected to power lines. Flowers also says that all electrical appliances should be placed in the off position if power goes out.