Fire Marshal Urges Safety During Holidays

Nov 26, 2012

The state fire marshal encourages Ohioans to take fire safety precautions when decorating for the holidays.

 Fire Marshal Larry Flowers says decorative lighting, live Christmas trees and unattended candles can pose fire threats. The National Fire Protection Association reports that electrical failures cause one-third of holiday fires. Lights with damaged sockets or wires and worn or frayed extension cords should never be used. Cords should not be run under rugs or over sharp objects. Flowers says one in five holiday fires occur because a heat source is too close to a tree.  The fire marshal also recommends keeping escape routes free of trees, decorations and presents.