Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Mon December 23, 2013
Former Owner Of Dayton Funeral Home Indicted On Fraud Charges
The co-owner of a now-closed Dayton area funeral home has been indicted on charges including theft and fraud.
The Montgomery County prosecutor says 45-year-old Michelle Gavin faces 51 counts that also included charges of tampering with records, violating pre-needs contracts and engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Gavin owned and operated the Magetti-Gavin Funeral Home with her husband. The prosecutor says more than 200 thousand dollars Gavin accepted for pre-paid funeral arrangements from over 60 people is gone. The law required her to deposit and keep money from those payments in a trust or a life insurance policy and file annual reports with the Ohio Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors.