Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
Wed January 30, 2013
Franklinton Landlord Convicted in Fatal Fire Violates Probation
A Franklinton landlord convicted in the aftermath of a fatal fire at one of his properties a year ago has been arrested again for violating probation.
After the Christmas Eve 2011 fire killed 3 tenants of Wisconsin Avenue property that had been condemend by the city, landlord Sam Vazirani pled no contest to 20 misdemeanor counts, served 30 days in jail, and agreed to sell his remaining properties. Environmental Court Judge Harlan Hale released Vazirani from house arrest, but ordered he bring all of his properties, including those he had sold, up to code. Now it appears that Vazirani still controls 12 properties, in violation of his parole. Officials say it has been difficult to trace Vazirani's holdings, which have been recorded under other names. Assistant City Attorney Bill Hedrick says more than a year in jail remains on Vazirani’s suspended sentence. The fire on Dec. 24, 2011, killed 22-year old Jerrica Francisco, her 4-year-old son, Dashawn, and her boyfriend, 33-year old Demetrius Chappell.