Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Fri January 11, 2013
Governor Signs Puppy Mill Legislation
Ohio Governor John Kasich has signed into law a bill that cracks down on puppy mills.
Ohio Public Radio's Jo Ingles reports.
The signing ceremony for a bill that sets standards for high concentration kennels went to the dogs….literally. As Governor Kasich signed the bill, a bichon named Sammy joined him on the table.
The bill that’s been signed into law requires registration and vet checks for dogs that are in high volume kennels. It’s a change that Sue Pohler, the owner of a puppy milled dog, says has been a long time coming for a couple of reasons.
Pohler – Part of it was some of the high volume breeders who didn’t want to meet the standards. Some of it was legitimately conservative members of the legislature who were afraid of growing government and more regulations. But I’m a conservative and sometimes, it’s the right thing to do and you have to pay the price.
The bill will take effect in 30 days.