Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue March 11, 2014
Grand Jury Clears Three Columbus Cops
A Franklin County grand jury has cleared three Columbus police officers of criminal wrongdoing for their roles in a deadly shooting last year.
Jurors say officers Glenn Thivener, Lawrence Brown and Steven Smith were forced to open fire and kill 47-year-old Danny Thornton during a shootout at a northeast side store last November. Police officials say Thornton was the suspect in the earlier shooting and wounding of a woman and an officer. Thivener, Brown and Smith also are being investigated by the Firearms Review Board to determine whether their actions were within police division policy.