Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Mon December 30, 2013
Hamilton County Commissioner May Enter Democratic Gubernatorial Race
A longtime Cincinnati-area officeholder says he plans to run for Ohio governor, setting up a Democratic primary with the county leader from Cleveland.
Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune says he's hearing from rank-and-file Democrats a desire for a choice in the May 6 primary. Cuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald has been considered the Democrats' presumptive nominee as they seek to take the governorship back from Republican Gov. John Kasich in 2014. Portune disagrees that a primary could hurt the party, saying it should lead to a healthy discussion of issues and help build momentum. He spent the last two decades as a Cincinnati city councilman or Hamilton County commissioner. Portune says he is beginning the steps needed to become a candidate, but that he'll travel throughout Ohio to gauge support before deciding for sure by the filing deadline a month before the primary.