Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Fri August 16, 2013
Haygood Inspires Columbus Readers
A big day for Columbus kids in the city's summer reading program. At their graduation ceremony yesterday - journalist and author Wil Haygood.
Haygood's book about White House butler Eugene Allen inspired the making of the major motion picture, The Butler - which had its premiere in Columbus on Wednesday. His focus yesterday though - inspiring the kids in his hometown.
The Columbus City Readers program for boys in grades 6-12 is a collaboration between Mayor Michael Coleman, Columbus Board of Education member Hanifah Kambon and community partners. Kambon says they added a few new elements this year.
The summer program also added writing assignments and included an arts component where the kids could take part in performing arts and music.