Most Active Stories
- FBI Investigating Sale Of Mayor Coleman's Former Home
- Ohio Plays Role In History Following SCOTUS Decision On Same-Sex Marriage
- Ballot Board Approves Cannabis Control Amendment For 2016 Ballot
- Locals Working To Preserve Original Port Columbus Terminal
- Democrats Call For Elimination Of State's "Pink Tax"
Fri August 16, 2013
Haygood Inspires Columbus Readers
A big day for Columbus kids in the city's summer reading program. At their graduation ceremony yesterday - journalist and author Wil Haygood.
Haygood's book about White House butler Eugene Allen inspired the making of the major motion picture, The Butler - which had its premiere in Columbus on Wednesday. His focus yesterday though - inspiring the kids in his hometown.
The Columbus City Readers program for boys in grades 6-12 is a collaboration between Mayor Michael Coleman, Columbus Board of Education member Hanifah Kambon and community partners. Kambon says they added a few new elements this year.
The summer program also added writing assignments and included an arts component where the kids could take part in performing arts and music.