Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Mon August 6, 2012
Health department cautions Ohioans against swine flu spread
The CDC has confirmed more cases of a variant of the swine flu in Ohio. The Ohio Department says there are 14 cases in Butler County linked to the county fair. Another case in Clark County was traced to the Ohio State Fair, which sent two pigs home after they tested positive for the H3N2 virus.
The health department is asking doctors and health departments to be aware of patients' visits to fairs or contact with swine. The state agriculture department is working with fair veterinarians to make sure that the rest of the county fair season runs smoothly, including upping the number of hand sanitizer stations available. But they say there are some commonsense precautions; avoid contact with animals that seem ill, wash hands frequently after any contact with animals, and don't eat or drink anything while in areas with animals. In addition, young children, pregnant women, people 65 and older, and anyone with weakened immune systems should be extra careful around animals.