Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Fri August 16, 2013
Impact Of Food Stamp Cuts
Nearly 2 million poor Ohioans rely on food stamps to make ends meet.
A 36 dollar boost in benefits Congress included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act expires at the end of October. Lisa Hamler-Fugitt is with the Ohio Association of Foodbanks.
Hamler-Fugitt says a growing number of food stamp recipients are working multiple low-wage jobs and can’t make ends meet.
Majority Republicans in the U.S. House meanwhile have proposed including 40 billion dollars in food stamp cuts in the next farm bill. That is twice the amount the GOP proposed during the last farm bill debate. Hamler-Fugitt hopes President Obama will veto any farm bill that does not include food assistance.