Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Mon August 5, 2013
Inmate Found Hanging In Cell
Just days before he was set to be executed, a condemned killer hanged himself at the prison in Chillicothe.
Statehouse correspondent Karen Kasler has more.
44-year-old Billy Slagle was pronounced dead around 6am Sunday, about an hour after he was found in his cell on Death Row. He was set to die Wednesday for the murder of his 40 year old neighbor Mari Ann Pope while she was babysitting two young children in 1987. Slagle’s case was unusual because the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor had appealed for clemency, saying that under current law Slagle likely would have been sentenced to life without parole instead. Gov. John Kasich went along with the parole board’s recommendation against clemency, but there was a last minute court argument set for today. Slagle is the second inmate facing execution to attempt suicide since Ohio restarted executions in 1999, but he’s the first one to kill himself.