Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu March 6, 2014
Jackets Busy At NHL Trade Deadline
The Columbus Blue Jackets have traded a fifth-round draft pick to the Edmonton Oilers for veteran defenseman Nick Schultz.
The Jackets also dealt forward Marian Gaborik to the Los Angeles Kings for two conditional draft picks and winger Matt Frattin just before Wednesday afternoon's trade deadline passed. Gaborik will be a free agent after the season. The Jackets are tied for 7th place in the Eastern Conference race and General Manager Jarmo Kekelainen says he thinks the team could make the playoffs for only the second time in franchise history. That's why he was willing to trade Gaborik, who has missed all but 22 games this season. But Kekelainen says the younger scorers are developing nicely.
The trades also help the Jackets replace two sidelined defensemen. Fedor Tyutin injured an ankle while playing for Russia in the Olympics and is out for another week or two, and prized rookie Ryan Murray is listed as day to day.