Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue April 22, 2014
Jim Tressel Among Finalists For Top Spot At University Of Akron
Former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel is among three finalists in the University of Akron's search for a new president.
Tressel has been an administrator there for two years. He took the job after being forced out at Ohio State following a scandal that led to NCAA sanctions. A campus email Tuesday from Akron trustees says the finalists include provosts from two other schools - Scott Scarborough of the University of Toledo and Ronald Nykiel of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Trustees say each finalist will spend one day next week interviewing with advisory groups. Whoever is chosen will replace President Luis Proenza, who is leaving his position in June. Tressel also applied to be president at Youngstown State University, where he previously coached.