Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Mon January 13, 2014
Kasich To Deliver 2014 State Of The State Address In Medina
Republican Ohio Governor John Kasich says he'll deliver his annual State of the State speech in the northeast Ohio city of Medina.
The governor's office announced the speech site and Feb. 24 date on Monday. Medina is hometown of GOP House Speaker Bill Batchelder. Kasich's likely Democratic rival Ed FitzGerald, of Cleveland, oversees government in neighboring Cuyahoga County . It's the third time the Republican governor has moved the traditional joint legislative session outside of Columbus. Kasich made history in 2012 when he moved the speech from Columbus to the eastern Ohio industrial city of Steubenville. That was a year after his first such speech, delivered at the Statehouse, was marred by labor-backed protests. He delivered last year's speech in Lima (LY'-muh), in northwest Ohio. Traditionally, the General Assembly, Ohio Supreme Court justices, cabinet members and statewide office holders attend the annual event. But in the last two years some officials have opted out, saying the road trip took time away from conducting the business of the state.