Most Active Stories
- FBI Investigating Sale Of Mayor Coleman's Former Home
- Ohio Plays Role In History Following SCOTUS Decision On Same-Sex Marriage
- Ballot Board Approves Cannabis Control Amendment For 2016 Ballot
- Supreme Court Declares Same-Sex Marriage Legal In All 50 States
- Conservative Business Group Wants To Sue Over Video Slots, But Must Win Another Case First
Thu April 26, 2012
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Thu April 26, 2012 9:21 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Let's stay in Europe for our last word in business - about an ad that allegedly pushes Nationalist buttons.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
The story starts with the Netherlands Energy Company. As a promotion, the energy company is offering free beer taps.
INSKEEP: We do not know how a free beer tap promotes using energy, but never mind. The company bought ads. The ads contain a warning for Netherlands women: Prevent your husbands from traveling to Ukraine to see this summer's European soccer championship. They thought...
MONTAGNE: The idea is the men might be seduced by beautiful Ukrainian women. So, better if they stay home and drink beer.
INSKEEP: Ukraine does not seem to take this as a compliment and is demanding that the ad be taken off the air.
MONTAGNE: And that's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Renee Montagne.
INSKEEP: And I'm Steve Inskeep.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC) Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.