Most Active Stories
- Anti-Fracking Measure Will Not Make Columbus' November Ballot
- Proposed Bill To Give Firefighters Special Cancer Prevention, Treatment
- Police Identify Two Suspects In Slaying Of Innocent Bystander
- Divers Pull Body Of One Of Two Drowning Victims From Olentangy
- WCBE Presents Radio Birds Live From Studio A Thurs. July 23, 2015 @ 2PM!
Thu April 26, 2012
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Thu April 26, 2012 9:21 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Let's stay in Europe for our last word in business - about an ad that allegedly pushes Nationalist buttons.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
The story starts with the Netherlands Energy Company. As a promotion, the energy company is offering free beer taps.
INSKEEP: We do not know how a free beer tap promotes using energy, but never mind. The company bought ads. The ads contain a warning for Netherlands women: Prevent your husbands from traveling to Ukraine to see this summer's European soccer championship. They thought...
MONTAGNE: The idea is the men might be seduced by beautiful Ukrainian women. So, better if they stay home and drink beer.
INSKEEP: Ukraine does not seem to take this as a compliment and is demanding that the ad be taken off the air.
MONTAGNE: And that's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Renee Montagne.
INSKEEP: And I'm Steve Inskeep.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC) Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.