Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Citizens Form Group To Oppose Columbus Zoo Levy
Thu April 18, 2013
Latin Roots: Fado Creates 'Nostalgia For The Present Moment'
Today, we welcome singer-songwriter, Grammy-nominated producer and record-company owner Rachel Faro, who visits World Cafe to discuss the Portuguese tradition of Fado.
Fado began in Lisbon and has been around for at least two centuries; over the years, the music has moved from the streets to concert halls. Fado singers like national treasures Amalia Rodrigues and Mariza, both of whom we hear in this segment, have become international stars. At the heart of Fado, the singer conveys "saudade" — the sense of "nostalgia for the present moment."
While Fado singers are women in most of Portugal, Faro also explores the Fado sung by men in Coimbra.
Latin Roots on World Cafe is made possible by a grant from The Wyncote Foundation.