Most Active Stories
- State Struggles To Deal With Rising Numbers of Mentally Ill Inmates In Prisons
- Cincinnati Restaurant Owner Apologies For Bruce Jenner "Joke"
- Improperly Canned Food Confirmed As Source Of Lancaster Botulism Outbreak
- Columbus To Get Its First Protected Bicycle Lane
- Local Chess Coach Charged With Abusing Young Girl
Tue July 30, 2013
Legionnaires' Outbreak Claims Fifth Life
The death toll from a Legionnaires' Disease outbreak at a Reynoldsburg nursing home continues to rise.
Wesley Ridge Retirement Community officials say five people have now died out of 35 cases of the illness. Franklin County Public Health officials say the bacteria got into Wesley Ridge's water system from its air-conditioning cooling tower. The tower is closed until a long-term prevention plan is put in place. The retirement community has pumped large amounts of chlorine into its water system and superheated its water to prevent the spread of the bacteria.