Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
- WCBE Presents The Bros. Landreth Live From Studio A Thurs. May 14, 2015 @ 2PM!
Mon January 20, 2014
Many See Day Of Service As Most Fitting Tribute To Martin Luther King Jr.
In Ohio and across the country, many people are heeding the call to observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day by doing something for other people.
In addition to the marches and speeches, people are marking the day by painting schools, refurbishing libraries, stocking food pantries and cleaning up neighborhoods. Melanie Collins with Hands On Northeast Ohio says a national Day of Service is a great reminder that it doesn't take much to make a big impact.
Collins: Some of the quotes that Dr. Martin Luther King used that really resonate is: 'Everyone can be great because anybody can serve.' That's just a really powerful mission, because no matter what background you come from, everyone can give a few hours. If you can give a little bit collectively, the impact that can make is just tremendous. You don't need to dedicate a week or a month -- if you can give just a little bit here and there, it can really really make a big difference.
OSU's Day of Service program was expected to attract a thousand students, faculty and staff who gathered at the Ohio Union this morning before being shuttled to volunteer opportunities throughout Central Ohio.