News
11:24 am
Fri May 10, 2013

More Charges Coming In Cleveland Case

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty says he will evaluate whether to seek the death penalty against Ariel Castro in connection with the disappearance and alleged abuse of three women.

For Ohio Public Radio, WCPN's Nick Castele reports.


In an outdoor briefing for reporters, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty said he plans to seek a host of charges against Ariel Castro in the alleged kidnappings and rapes of three women who escaped from Castro’s home this week.


MCGINTY: “I fully intend to seek charges for each and every act of sexual violence, rape, each day of kidnapping, every felonious assault, all his attempted murders and each act of aggravated murder he committed by terminating pregnancies that the offender perpetuated against the hostages during this decade-long ordeal.”


Ohio law permits the death penalty in aggravated murders committed in connection with rapes and kidnappings.


Earlier that day, Ariel Castro appeared in court. He had his head down and eyes to the floor. The judge set his bond to $8 million.


Assistant county prosecutor Brian Murphy says the three women escaped from Castro’s home as unexpectedly as they disappeared ten years ago. 


MURPHY: ”Today, the situation has turned, Your Honor. Mr. Castro stands before you a captive—in captivity, a prisoner. The women are free to regain their lives.”


Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson said the women and their families had been overwhelmed by international support and attention.


But now, he says, they need space. He’s telling public safety employees to stop releasing records outside of the normal chain of command.


JACKSON: “This is not for the sake of concealing any information from the public or form you as media. It is however to demonstrate compassion for the victims and their families.”


His remarks came shortly after numerous news outlets, including this one, reported on details from a leaked police report.


Next, prosecutor Timothy McGinty will present his case against Castro to a grand jury. Meanwhile, Gina DeJesus, Amanda Berry and Michelle Knight will continue to recover after ten years missing in Cleveland.