Columbus paramedics say they recently treated a homeless man who claims to have injected himself with krokodil, a heroin-like drug from Russia.
Paramedics and police say it may be the first time that the home-made drug has shown up in central Ohio. The Central Ohio Poison Center says there have been only two other possible cases of krokodil in the state and none are in Columbus. Other suspected cases have been reported in Illinois, Oklahoma, and Arizona. Doctors say krokodil causes gangrene-like symptoms almost instantly,large, open wounds and death.