Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu March 13, 2014
New Third Grade Literacy Testing Coming Soon
The Ohio Department of Education says third-graders will have three new ways to show they read well enough to move on to the fourth grade.
The new tests provide families alternatives to the Ohio Achievement Assessment. They are the Iowa Assessments, the Northwest Evaluation Association's MAP test and Terra Nova 3. Under Ohio's Third Grade Reading Guarantee law, students must pass a literacy test to advance. Districts will determine how the new tests are used - online, with pencil-and-paper and in an essay or multiple-choice format.