Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue January 7, 2014
Ohio EPA head resigns
The governor's office says Ohio Environmental Protection Agency director Scott Craig Butler will be appointed as interim director.Nally resigned Tuesday.
A statement from Kasich's office says Nally is leaving to "pursue other opportunities." Environmental groups say Kasich and Nally forced George Elmaraghy of the Division of Surface Water to resign last year amid pressure from the coal industry to accommodate its demands. Elmaraghy says coal companies sought permits that would have violated state and federal laws and harmed Ohio's streams and wetlands. Butler serves as the administration's senior policy adviser on environmental, energy, public utility and agricultural issues. He previously worked as district director of the Ohio EPA's central district and southeast district offices.