Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu May 8, 2014
Ohio Leads U.S. In Metal Theft Claims
The National Insurance Crime Bureau says Ohio continues to lead the nation in metal thefts.
More than 4 thousand claims were filed from 2011 through 2013, a third more than second-place Texas and 40 percent more than third-place California. Nearly all of the thefts from homes and businesses involved copper. More than 14 hundred claims were filed in Ohio last year, unchanged from 2012 and up from more than 12 hundred in 2011. The Ohio Insurance Institute speculates law-enforcement agencies are doing a better job of tracking such thefts. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates metal theft costs U.S. businesses 1 billion dollars a year.