Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu April 24, 2014
Ohio Mulch Company Offers Rebates For Underweight Bags
Ohio's Agriculture Department has stopped sales of 1.5 cubic-foot bags of mulch produced before April 6 by a Columbus mulch company, after random testing found the bags weren't full.
The department issued its order Thursday about certain bags of Ohio Mulch's Absolute Black, Absolute Red and Premium Cypress varieties. Following up on a complaint, state inspectors tested 18 bags purchased from three locations and found none contained the stated amount of mulch or came within the 5-percent variance that is allowed. President Jim Weber says the company values its reputation and has worked around-the-clock to fix the problem. A faulty machine was removed. The company is offering customers future discounts as well as rebates of 50 cents plus 50 cents for postage for each bag purchased before April 6.