Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Thu December 12, 2013
Ohio, U.S. Weekly Jobless Claims Increase
The Labor Department says Ohio had the second-largest increase in first-time claims for unemployment insurance benefits last week.
Nearly 26 hundred Ohioans filed claims, due to layoffs in manufacturing and financial services. Ohio is second to Wisconsin. Nationally, claims rose by 68 thousand last week to a seasonally-adjusted 368 thousand - the largest increase in more than a year. The department says the increase likely reflects the difficulty adjusting for delays after the Thanksgiving holiday.