Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
- Education Activists, Officials Identify Loophole In 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
Wed March 27, 2013
OSU Joins Study On Rural Food Deserts
Ohio State University is taking part in a project led by South Dakota State University to help isolated communities increase the availability of nutritious food.
The project will focus on what the U.S. Department of Agriculture calls "rural food deserts" - areas where a substantial number of people are located far from supermarkets. The project will test the theory that communities with local food policy councils will have less of a hunger problem than those that do not. Improving food pantries is one of the project's main goals. The five-year, 4 million dollar grant program also includes researchers in Indiana, Michigan, Missouri and Nebraska.