Most Active Stories
- Anti-Fracking Measure Will Not Make Columbus' November Ballot
- Proposed Bill To Give Firefighters Special Cancer Prevention, Treatment
- Divers Pull Body Of One Of Two Drowning Victims From Olentangy
- Police Identify Two Suspects In Slaying Of Innocent Bystander
- WCBE Presents Radio Birds Live From Studio A Thurs. July 23, 2015 @ 2PM!
Thu June 28, 2012
PHOTO: President Obama After Hearing Health Care News
The White House has released a picture of President Obama on the phone with Solicitor General Donald Verrilli in the Oval Office after hearing the health care news. Verrilli was the one who argued the case in front of the Supreme Court.
Here's the picture:
Obama looks rather relaxed. But both The New York Times and NBC News report that Obama, who received the news like most Americans, first thought his signature legislation had been declared unconstitutional.
According to NBC, President Obama saw the news reported on CNN and Fox News. About 40 seconds later, White House counsel Kathryn Ruemmler explained the surprising 5-4 ruling in favor of the administration.
"Mr. Obama, one official said, was absorbing the news with a quizzical expression. Jack Lew, the White House chief of staff, stood next to him. When Ms. Ruemmler told the president that the court had upheld the law in a 5-to-4 vote, he broke out in a broad smile and gave her a hug. The two cable networks continued with the incorrect reports, though with the sound turned off, Mr. Obama paid no attention."
In a speech, President Obama declared, "today's decision was a victory for people all over this country whose lives will be more secure because of this law."