Most Active Stories
- FirstEnergy Making Push For New Plan, Opponents Dub It A Coal Plant Bailout
- Whistleblower's Allegations Raise Questions About Charter School Spending
- Group Challenges Ohio Voting Procedures
- WCBE Presents Devil Doves Live From Studio A Tues. May 12, 2015 @ 2PM!
- Columbus Foundation's "The Big Give" Starts At 10 A.M. Today
Wed November 23, 2011
Planning To Fry That Turkey? Watch These Videos First
President Obama just gave two turkeys — Peace and Liberty — a ceremonial pardon. It's an on-again, off-again Thanksgiving tradition that goes back at least as far as the Lincoln administration, according to the White House.
But we want to point to another official act: The Department of Homeland Security's joining with those who warn about the dangers of turkey frying.
In two posts yesterday on its Twitter page, DHS said:
-- "Use turkey fryers outdoors at a safe distance f/ buildings. Never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck."
-- "Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before placing in a fryer, or this may happen (video).
And that video from SafetyAtHome.com is indeed frightening.
For entertainment (and safety) purposes, you also might enjoy this clip from State Farm, starring Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner.
Please, we'd like you to be able to come back to see us next week. So take heed.
For some less combustible Thanksgiving table news, see our friends at The Salt blog.