Most Active Stories
- WCBE Presents Lake Street Dive Live From Studio A Wed. March 5, 2014 @ 2PM!
- Sassafraz: Live from Studio A REPLAY
- 9th Annual Townes Van Zandt tribute night - a benefit for WCBE! Fri. March 7th @ Dick's Den!
- Families Of Chardon H.S. Shooting Victims File Suit
- WCBE Presents Caroline Smith Live From Studio A Fri. March 7, 2014@11am
Wed September 18, 2013
Political Donations Not Addressed In Veteran's Charity Scam Case
The Ohio attorney general's multi-state case against an alleged scam artist who collected as much as $100 million ostensibly for Navy veterans doesn't address the man's donations to politicians, including the attorney general himself.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says that he's concentrating on convicting the man who calls himself Bobby Thompson and that the man's political contributions are "kind of a sidebar to the scam." Bobby Thompson is now identified by authorities as former military intelligence officer John Donald Cody. He sits in a Cleveland jail awaiting trial this month. He has contributed to a host of high-profile Republicans. DeWine's latest annual report emphasizes the dramatic nature of Thompson's case - multiple fake IDs and a cash-filled suitcase. It doesn't hint the case has a political aspect.