Most Active Stories
- Authorities Identify Victims Of Fatal Truck-School Bus Crash Downtown
- U.S. House Approves Extension Of Great Lakes Restoration Initiative
- Former CCS Data Chief Sentenced To Jail, Probation
- Nearly Two Dozen People Apply For City Council Seat
- Your Donation Can Help WCBE and Central Ohioans in Need of Food This Season!
Tue May 20, 2014
Prisons Officials To Keep Death Row Cell Windows Open
The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections says it plans to install screens on windows in prison cells for death row inmates to keep birds from flying inside.
The move follows complaints about birds and droppings because of the open windows. The screens were ordered installed by July. The order came prior to Monday's release of a report about the problem. The report released by the legislature's Correctional Institution Inspection Committee found many inmates like opening windows to let fresh air in.